Tuesday 14 January 2014

Date With an Errand

Decided I'd start writing up a few of my actual dates, starting with one from last week!

We started talking one Saturday and he suggested to meet up the same day. I'd spent 2 days lounging around the house in my PJs and so I was pretty keen to have a reason to get up and go out. I don't usually meet someone so quickly, but on the other hand, I don't like talking too much pre-date either, it can get your hopes up for someone who is disappointing in person.

I got fully ready; make up, hair, outfit. Then I suddenly fell into a I-hate-all-men mood. Over Christmas I felt a bit let down by a date and remembering this I started to feel massively jaded about the whole thing. If I like a guy, they are either terrible to date or aren't keen on me. If they like me, I don't seem to like them. I've had enough time-wasters. My profile states I'm looking for something meaningful, but I still get a steady flow of casual men. Perhaps they don't read my profile. Perhaps they see me as a challenge. Perhaps they simply don't care that we have totally different expectations. Realising this, I suddenly bombarded him with questions of his aim of being on a dating site. "I haven't really thought about it" he replied. This was enough for me, I cancelled. I wasn't too keen anyway, after finding out he was the same height as me and actually had the cheek to say to me "I usually date girls taller than you" - WHY?!

Anyway, 2 days later, amazingly he messaged me to see how I was. I was totally surprised by this, certain my Saturday night outburst and cancellation would put anyone off. Deciding he must be decent after all, I asked if he'd like to re-arrange. So we did.

It was raining. He was 10 minutes late. His first request was to run an errand, he needed to buy something from Whole Foods. I'd usually be annoyed with a first date wanting to run an errand, but as it happens, I wanted to buy some tea from there anyway. So we walked, in the rain. I bought my tea, he bought whatever he came for. Then he suggests a drink. We get there, it's closed. So he suggests a pub. We walk for a further 20 minutes in the rain without finding a single pub. He then realises he is not walking in the direction he thought he was and wanted to see the map on my phone (no idea why he couldn't use his phone).

I eventually lead us to a pub guided by Maps, we order some drinks. He immediately takes out his phone exclaiming that he 'Has to reply to some emails'. He does this several times. I give up and begin to text my friend about how horrible my date is and ask him to send me photos of his pet French Bulldog. Deciding this date was a disaster, I talked about every subject that could put off a date; ex boyfriends, how crap my day was, basically anything negative. I showed some photos on my phone of random things that accompanied my stories, he would take my phone off me rather than just look. I found this uncomfortable (especially because my friend could pop up at any moment with something related to my terrible date chat with him).

He says he'll get the bill. Then he said his card doesn't work, can he 'borrow my phone to transfer funds?'. Errr no. This was one phone-grabbing attempt too many. I try paying by card, it seems the machine is down, they need cash. He doesn't offer, so I pay in cash. Quickly made my way to the station. Won't be seeing him again!

1 comment:

  1. Lucky escape.

    How weird was that guy!

    Did he ever contact you again?

    ReplyDelete