Thursday 16 January 2014

The Uncomplimentary Compliment

I see this sort of stuff quite a lot. They probably mean it as a compliment (the lip piercing line), but there are SO many better ways to word it! I'm not really sure why I'd want to take solace in the fact that there's something about me they don't usually like.

dating, dating advice, dating messages, Ok Cupid, okcupid,


If you actually want to be nice, why not try "Your lip piercing is quite unique, I really like it on you".
If something like the lip piercing bothers you so much, why not try moving on to the next profile and not sending anything at all.

By all means, if I ask for an opinion on my lip ring, I do want the truth, but as a first message from a stranger on a dating site, why would I want to hear it?! I'm sure if I turned around and replied "So normally I'm not keen on receding hairlines, but I suppose you kind of pull it off" it's going to end up in a bitter argument pretty quickly.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on this - try being nice and the comment will be taken well...it's not a great opening otherwise!

    ReplyDelete