Thursday 23 January 2014

Oxford Circus Date

I'd had a few days of successful texting with this guy. He seemed coherent and into similar things as me. He asked for a date in central London, I agreed. I asked him to phone me when he gets to Oxford Circus, of which I work near to. He calls, this is pretty much the dialogue:

Me: "Do you know where Spaghetti House is?"
Him: "Nope"
Me: "How about Liberty?"
Him: "No"
Me: "Ok, let's just meet at Carnaby Street"
Him: "I don't know where that is"
Me: "How long have you been in London?"
Him: "13 years..."
Me: "Ok well...ask pretty much anyone around you where Carnaby Street is. I'll get ready and leave my office and I'll phone you when I'm out"
Him: "Ok"


So, I do. I call and ask if he's managed to find it. "No, I'm still by Oxford Circus, I didn't bother to be honest" - I should have really just given up there and then! So I ask where abouts he is, "just outside Oxford Circus" he tells me. Oxford Circus has 8 exits I believe, spanning multiple streets. Surely any Londoner (and even non-Londoner) should know that?!

I finally locate him and he suggests we go into the closest pub to the station (Argyll Arms) - I tell him it's likely full. "Full on a Wednesday night?!" he exclaims, surprised. OXFORD CIRCUS. This is OXFORD CIRCUS! Find me a night where Oxford Circus stops. Starting to wonder if he's really from London at all.

I finally take us to a pub. He asks what I'm getting. "Bockwurst" I respond, "Oh, I'm having Guinness". After 1 drink of unsuccessful conversation I made my excuses and left. I might just start being horrendously rude and cancel a date before I even meet them if something like this happens again!

No comments:

Post a Comment